the ZEN in balance
The Secret to a Smooth Move // June 29, 2015
There is no denying that the moving process is a lot of work and can create a lot of stress in already busy lives. The key to transitioning smoothly into a new home is to organize early on, as packing isn’t something you should jump into the week prior to the big move.
Here is a general outline of how to schedule your move:
First and foremost, create a packing schedule and create specific lists of all the tasks that need to be done in individual rooms. Start with packing off-season items and things you don’t use often. This includes organizing your garage, storage rooms and any areas in your home that may be unorganized. Don’t be afraid to get rid of the things that you no longer use. Holding a garage sale is an effective way to declutter and also make a bit of money before the move.
It’s important to label boxes as you pack them. On the label, include what is in the box and which room it will be going into. If you are feeling really ambitious, colour-code the labels by room. This makes directing traffic on moving day a breeze.
If possible, go into your new home a few days before you officially move in and do some deep cleaning, especially in the bathroom and the kitchen. This way you know you are putting your things into clean drawers and cabinets.
The night before moving day, pack an overnight bag with everything you will need for the first night in your new home. You will thank yourself when you are exhausted and just want to get some rest. It also helps to put the things you will need right away into clear containers so you can see exactly what is in them.
Finally, ensure everything is completely packed and labeled before your friends show up to help you move. Don’t forget to offer them first dibs on anything you are planning to sell or give away. Beer and pizza are a great way to say thanks, and are nice after a long day of moving. Remember, if you have a lot of heavy, valuable items, it’s a good idea to hire professional movers.
Here are a few handy packing tips:
- Pack dishes and other breakables in clothing. This will save you tissue paper/bubble wrap, and is an effective way to show love to the environment.
- Pack plates vertically (like a record) and they will be less likely to break.
- Take a picture of how all your electronics are connected so you can remember where all of the cords attach.
- Wrap electrical cords so they don’t tangle (toilet paper rolls are great for this).
- Use laundry bins, suitcases and hampers to cut down on the number of boxes you need.
- If you are renting, make sure you take pictures before moving in so you have a record of what the home looked like prior.
Remember to get sufficient rest and don’t hesitate to ask for help. Moving homes is a lot of work, so prepare as much as possible.
Why build with Avalon? We stand out from the crowd in a few important ways. LEARN MORE